(By Iheanyi Ezinwo)-The Speaker, Rivers State House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. Ikuinyi-Owaji Ibani, DSSRS, KSC on the floor of the House condemned the oppression, impunity and repressive attitude of the operatives of State Anti-Robbery Squad against the people and innocent citizens of Rivers State.
Rt. Hon. Ibani noted that on several occasions, on the floor of the House, the State Assembly has condemned the excesses of SARS.
According to him, the State Assembly has once provided a platform for the National Assembly to investigate a reported case of murder committed by SARS in Rivers State.
The Rt. Hon. Speaker pointed out that Rivers State has always been a victim of the excesses of SARS and that the State Assembly is on the same page with the State Government.
According to the Speaker, “we stand with the position of the Government of Rivers State as enunciated by His Excellency, the Governor of Rivers State, and that we know, is not what I’m going to recount that this government has always protested against the excesses of SARS”.
Rt. Hon. Ibani stated that the 9th Rivers State House of Assembly stands with the conveners of the #ENDSARS# protest.
He stated, “…I use this opportunity from the Chair to also send a message on behalf of members of the 9th Assembly to the conveners that as an Assembly we stand with them…”.
The Rt. Hon. Speaker, however, advised them to observe civility while exercising their constitutional right to freedom of speech and association. According to the Speaker “As a House, we will only advise that you must be civil enough and also understand that where your rights stop is where another person’s right begins”.
In another development, the State Assembly passed into law 18 bills.
The bills are:
1. Rivers State Teaching Hospital (Amendment) Bill, 2020
2. Rivers State Physical Planning and Development (Amendment) Bill, 2020
3. Chief Emmanuel Aguma House Bill, 2020
4. Chief P.G Warmate House Bill, 2020
5. Gen Yakubu Gowon Stadium Bill, 2020
6. Gen. Yakubu Gowon Road Bill, 2020
7. Emmanuel Chinwe Aguma Judges Quarters Bill, 2020
8. Cardinal Rex Jim Cultural Center Bill, 2020
9. Dame Patience Faka Jonathan Road bill, 2020
10. Dr Deinma Dennis Fiberisima Doctors Quarters, Rivers State University Teaching Hospital Bill, 2020
11. Engr. Lawrence Anele Amadi Road Bill, 2020
12. Celestine Ngozichim Omehia Road Bill, 2020
13. Dr Abiye Samuel Precious Sekibo Road Bill, 2020
14. Rebisi Flyover Bill, 2020
15. Rumuogba Flyover Bill, 2020
16. Okoro Nnu- Odo Bill, 2020
17. Rumuwoji Market Bill, 2020
18, Ogbum Nu Abali Fruit Garden Market Bill, 2020
In his remarks, Speaker of the House, Rt. Hon. Ikuinyi-Owaji Ibani commended members of the House for putting in their best to make laws for the peace and development of all parts of the State.
He stated, “let me from the Chair commend you because it is not easy. We will continue to do this in the interest of our people, in the interest of our State and that at the end, we know that generation to come will look back and also commend us, and history will be charitable and kind to Members of the 9th Rivers State House of Assembly’ .